Opting for the right windows and doors is an important step when you planning your home or even renovating your existing one. If you are able to follow simple steps in taking steps, then you will not regret later on. First, you need to make sure what type of windows and doors you are looking for, secondly, choose the options for the exterior and the interior, and finally you can enhance the selection with hardware, grilles and other accessories. All these steps need to be followed keeping the quality factor as a priority.
Types of windows
There are multiple options when you talking about types of windows.
- Double Hung windows which have, in one frame, two sliding sash vertically. These lift open while they remain flush with the wall. These tend to be ideal for walkways, patios and decks.
- Casement windows are hinged that can open outward either to the left or the right with the turning of a crank. These are commonly used in areas above the kitchen sinks where you require windows for full venting.
- Awning windows are able to open outward and are hinged on the top and are normally used alongside, above or below windows which are stationery.
- Gliding windows are more contemporary as compared to double-hung ones, have two sashes with one which slides in a horizontal manner past the other.
- Picture windows, used in combination with venting windows are windows that cannot open but are used to obtain maximum light and a view which is unobstructed.
- Bay and Bow windows are combinations of windows that are able to project outward from a house. These combinations are able to add volume, light and space to a room besides adding more personality
- Specialty windows, providing a lighting accent, are stationery and are characterized in accordance to the shapes which include dramatic angles and curves.
Different patio doors
- Gliding doors with one panel gliding past another one smoothly. This can provide additional space wherever required.
- Hinged in swing is doors which can save space in smaller rooms.
- Hinged out swing has panels that can open on the outward which can offer you additional space inside the room.
Choosing the glass
Once you have made up your mind on the type of window and door you require, you need to plan for the glass. As we are aware that glass can make a huge difference to the ‘energy efficiency’ factor and since not all are the same you need to make sure of choosing the right one. There are some glasses which can offer you more clarity while the other can provide good insulation or you can opt for glass which is able to filter out certain type of light. You need to make choice in accordance to the weather conditions and the locality you stay in. Think of opting for tempered glass which allows enough light in your home but can keep the harmful UV rays out; as this can help you protect your carpet and furniture.
Adding style with accessories, hardware and grilles
With the right choice of grilles, hardware and other accessories you can personalize your home reflecting your personality. If you are thinking of adding grilles, you have choices between the standard patterns or custom patterns. Grilles can be used to give your casement windows a look of double-hung windows or even match the existing patterns of your grilles.
With so many choices available in windows and doors you will surely be able to get the quality you are looking for according to your budget.
You might also be interested in learning about security doors. Or when to replace your door locks.